10 Questions, 10 Answers
1. Which team won the last Super Bowl that was played in January?
2.: If the Rams win Super Bowl LIII, Bill Belichick will become the fifth head coach to lose four Super Bowls. Name the four who have already done so.
3: Sean McVay will be the fourth different head coach the Rams have had in their four Super Bowl appearances. Name the previous three.
4. Three Super Bowl winning quarterbacks wore the Number 9. Name them.
5: Patriots running back James White joins Denver’s Terrell Davis and three San Francisco 49ers as the Super Bowl single-game record-holders with three touchdowns. Name the Niners. (Hint: One of them did it twice.)
6. Former Dallas Cowboy Tony Romo will be joining Jim Nantz in the CBS booth for Super Bowl LIII. Who was the last network TV play-by-play announcer for a Super Bowl not named Nantz, Michaels or Buck?
7: Tom Brady has been under center for all five of Bill Belichick’s Super Bowl victories. Joe Gibbs won three Super Bowls for the Washington Redskins, each with a different starting quarterback. Name them.
8. The Rams’ Jared Goff is attempting to become another in a long line of overall No. 1 picks to throw a touchdown pass in the Super Bowl. Can you name the last undrafted player to throw a touchdown pass in a Super Bowl?
9. Eagles tight end Zach Ertz scored the 289th -- and most recent -- touchdown in Super Bowl history. Who scored the first?
10. The Rams’ Sean McVay could become the third head coach to win a Super Bowl before the age of 40. Who are the previous two to do so?
1. On Jan. 26, 2003, the Buccaneers defeated the Raiders, 48-21, in San Diego, Calif., in the last Super Bowl played in January.
2. The four head coaches who have lost four Super Bowls (with calendar year of each loss):
Bud Grant - Minnesota (1970, 1974, 1975, 1977)
Don Shula -Baltimore (1969). Miami (1972, 1983, 1985)
Marv Levy - Buffalo (1991, 1992, 1993, 1994)
Dan Reeves - Denver (1987, 1988, 1990). Atlanta (1999)
3: The three previous head coaches to lead the Rams to the Super Bowl:
Jan. 20, 1980 - Ray Malavasi (L)
Jan. 30, 2000 - Dick Vermeil (W)
Feb. 3, 2002 - Mike Martz (L)
4. The three Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks who wore Number 9 were:
Jim McMahon, Bears
Drew Brees, Saints
Nick Foles, Eagles
5: In addition to James White and Terrell Davis, the 49ers with three TDs in a single Super Bowl are:
Jerry Rice (twice)
6. The last time that neither Jim Nantz, Al Michaels nor Joe Buck were the main network TV play-by-play announcer for the Super Bowl was Feb. 1, 2004, when Greg Gumbel had the lead microphone honors for CBS in Super Bowl XXXVIII.
7. The three Redskins QBs to win a Super Bowl for Joe Gibbs:
Joe Theismann - Jan. 30, 1983
Doug Williams - Jan. 31, 1988
Mark Rypien - Jan. 26, 1992
8. The Eagles’ Trey Burton is the last undrafted player to throw a touchdown pass in a Super Bowl. He joins Jake Delhomme and Kurt Warner as the only undrafted players to do so.
9. Packers quarterback Bart Starr hit Max Magee for a 37-yard touchdown midway through the first quarter of Super Bowl I. The two would hook up for a TD again in the fourth quarter.
10. The two previous coaches to win a Super Bowl before the age of 40 are:
Mike Tomlin (36y/323d on Feb. 1, 2009)
Jon Gruden (39y/162d) on Jan. 26, 2003)