RT picks the Interborough Stakes at Aqueduct and lists his favored racing angles around the country
The Interborough goes off at 3:50 pm EST.
Rt’s Tips and Trends 1.18.2021
After yesterday’s atrocious 0 wins, 3 shows, and 4 out of the money, I will be taking a break, however, you can catch trends posted daily.
Let’s see if a switch to this stakes races helps….
Aqueduct 7 – The $100K Interborough Stakes
Fillies and mares 4yo’s↑ going seven furlongs
Did a double take when noticing that #5 Alisio (9/2) had not raced in over a year prior to her last at Laurel on Nov. 28. Godolphin mare out of Ghostzapper took a lot of money that day to the dismay of bettors and it looked as if the jockey instructions were to give her a glorified six furlong workout. Since her last race she has put in three works, all four furlongs and increasing in results. There is no doubt that when on her game, she can dust this group. Alisio is 4:3-1-0 for $136K at Aqueduct.
#6 Portal Creek (6/5): With her 106 Timeform early speed figure and her near miss from gate to wire in the $100K Go For Wand, there will be no doubt as to who is going for the lead. Had her last not been in sloppy conditions, I believe the results of that race would have been different and unfavorable for her. The winner had a 10:3-3-2 record in slop and the rest were pedestrian at best…. including co-favorite Nonna Madeline. Does that mean this is a harbinger for today? Since Stand For The Flag, winner Sharp Starr, and final finisher Overheated have subsequently dumped in their respective last outings, betting against her at such a low number seems logical. Add to the removal of Lasix, seemingly much worse for the speed type, and there is much room for doubt.
#2 Saguaro Row (3/1) looked like a horse who had been on a ten month sabbatical last out, giving some effort and getting fourth place money. Conclusively, if you draw a line through the previous race to that, the $150K G3 Barbara Fritchie, you will see why she was favored in that G3 event. She was racing lights out in her previous three, winning today’s stakes, getting second to Spiced Perfection in the Go For Wand and winning the $100K Pumpkin Pie stakes. 1:00.6 work on 1/12 and Michael Stidham with Trevor McCarthy have 16 wins together for a remarkable 56%. Like Alisio, her last ostensibly is a tune-up for today.
With a claim for $100K two back and a claim in her last for $62.5K, along with Kelly Breen being 32% with first claimers, expect a lot of action on #5 Call On Mischief (6/1). Personally, if I claimed a horse for $100K and entered it into a $62.5K optional claimer and I felt the horse had the opportunity to get my $100K back, I would have never put a tag on it. I am not buying. This race is going to boil down to who will catch the leg weary Portal Creek – Alisio or Saguaro Row? The effort in Saguaro Row’s last race is much more noteworthy than Alisio’s and this looks like a good spot for her. 4:2-1-0 for $169k at Aqueduct and 6:2-1-1 for $145K at the distance seals it.
Scheduled Angles (all times CST)
· 11:25 Prx 1 - Why Not You - key race long shot
· 11:45 Mvr 1 – To Win - game effort in last Dacosta 25% 2nd off layoff
· 11:54 LrL 2 - Helen Gibson - key race long shot/ Keep Your Skate On 2nd Lasix MCL finished 3rd or better in last/ Egg Nog 2nd Lasix MCL finished 3rd or better in last
· 12:20 Aqu 2 - Dust Devil - Kantarmaci 25% 1st claim
· 12:50 Aqu 4 – Gone Glimmering - Linda 17% 1st claim 1:20
· 1:08 Mvr 4 - Dark Oak - key race long shot
· 1:13 Prx 5 - It’s So Easy - Preciado Gudalupe 29% 1st claim
· 1:50 Aqu 5 – Playwright - Wayne Potts 29% 1st claim
· 2:07 Prx 7 – Graves Island - Re-Claim
· 2:16 DeD 4 – Blaising Guitar - 1st Claim/Last Out Won
· 2:45 GG1 - Crookhaven Lass - key race long shots
· 2:50 Aqu 7 – Call On Mischief - Kelly Breen 32% 1st claim
· 2:53 Lrl 8 – Desbordes - Kieron Magee 17% 1st claim 2:53 & key race long shot
· 2:56 FG 5 – Microcap - 1st Claim/Last Out Won
· 3:00 SA2 - Motown Music - 1st Claim/Last Out Won
· 3:01 Prx 9 – Paul The Waiter - key race long shot
· 3:11 DeD 6 – Waterwild - key race long shot/ End Zone Re-Claim
· 3:23 Lrl 9 – Polished Copper - 1st Claim/Last Out Won
· 3:25 FG 6 – Irish Hustle - 1st Claim/Last Out Won
· 3:54 FG 7 – Maystart - 1st Claim/Last Out Won
· 4:12 TuP 6 – Remembertobreathe, Spirit Mission - key race long shot
· 4:23 FG 8 – Sparkle Of Hope, Naughty Rendezvous, Anoush - all 2nd Lasix MCL Finished 3rd Or Better in Last
· 4:42 Tup 7 – Cat’s Blame - Troy Smith 25% with first time in barn
· 5:12 TuP 8 - Midnight Destiny - Juan Pablo Silva, 33% 1st claim
· 6:43 SA 9 – El Joy - 1st Lasix Maiden Finished 3rd Or Better in Last